[Ontbirds] BAIRD'S and SB DOWITCHER - Mitchell West Perth Wet; ands

Dave & Tracey Brown thebrowns at ezlink.ca
Sun Aug 14 23:12:10 EDT 2016

Hi All,

A quick note on the status of the West Perth Wetlands in Mitchell.

The west end of the shorebird cell (right behind the parking lot) continues to hold a few inches in depth of water and some great shorebird habitat. The rest of the cell has some standing water from the heavy rains the past couple of days.
In this cell...  Solitary Sandpiper (2), Greater YL (2), Lesser YL (sev.), Semipalmated Sandpiper (4), Pectoral Sandpiper (1), Least Sandpiper (70+ in 2 different flocks), Semipalmated Plover (3), Killdeer (lots)

The cell behind the plant to the east side is good though drying out quite a bit (the rain has helped hold it a bit).
In this cell...  BAIRD’S SANDPIPER (2), Pectoral Sandpiper (10), Spotted Sandpiper (3), Solitary Sandpiper (2), Semipalmated Sandpiper (3), Least Sandpiper (lots), Lesser Y (lots), Semipalmated Plover (2), Killdeer (lots)

Finally, the large cell at the back is in great shape....only a few inches deep over a good deal of it and large areas of muddy shoreline.
In this cell... SB DOWITCHER (1), Lesser YL (lots), Greater YL (3), Pectoral Sandpiper (3), Semipalmated Sandpiper (2), Least Sandpiper (lots), Semipalmated Plover (2), Killdeer (lots)

Strangely, nothing really unusual so far....and I’d hoped for a bit of a fallout of birds with all the storms in the area over the past couple of days.... but we still have a ways to go with the shorebird migration.

Good Luck if you get out there...and GOOD BIRDING!
Dave

Directions to West Perth Wetlands:

>From the East (Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, GTA) - take Hwy 8 thru

Stratford heading west to first lights in Mitchell (Wellington St) and
turn left (south) and continue till you hit the "T" intersection at the

ball diamond.  Lagoon cells are straight back behind the ball diamond

and soccer fields and the sewage treatment plant.  You can go straight ahead

on the gravel and park next to the berm.

>From the London area....take Hwy 23 into Mitchell from the south and

just after you pass the "Welcome to Mitchell" sign...watch for Frank

St...go right on Frank St and head down over the bridge till you get to

the ball diamond (will be on your right).  Again...the cells are behind

the ball diamond and soccer fields. You can go straight ahead

on the gravel and park next to the berm.

>From Southampton area....take Hwy 21, to Goderich and then Hwy 8 to

Clinton and down to Mitchell, turn south on Hwy 23 to Frank St. and turn

left on Frank St. and head over the bridge to the ball diamonds (which

will be on your right). You can go straight ahead on the gravel and park

next to the berm.