[Ontbirds] High Park Raptorwatch Sept. 1, 2016

Tim McCarthy TimMcCarthy_5 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 1 16:36:31 EDT 2016

Well, the "Ex" is on, the Raptorwatch has started, there goes another summer! I hope yours was as good as mine.

The first day of Raptorwatching rarely produces much, but today we had a cold front with North and West winds. Classic good Raptor weather with the expected great results.

>From 9am until 3:30 pm here is what we saw:

6 Turkey Vultures

1   Osprey

2   Bald Eagles

32 Sharpshins

4    Cooper's Hawk

12 Broadwinged

14 Red tailed

11  American Kestrel

 7   Misc. unidentified (we'll be better soon)

17  Monarch Butterflies

 Its almost like they knew this ideal weather would not last and they went for it.

Many thanks to Don Barnett, Ian Maione, Bob and Karen Yukich, Elliot Whitby, Anastasia and Alexander, John Reynolds, and George, el Aguila

This phenominal day, and hopefully, the next 91 may be enjoyed at Toronto's High Park, on Hawk Hill, right beside the Grenadier Restaurant. Best days are when the wind is from the North or Northwest, from 10 am until late afternoon.

 Binoculars and a lawn chair are advised. Don't fret if you are not good at Hawk-spotting, we will teach you.

Happy Hawking,

Tim