[Ontbirds] Detroit River Hawk Watch (16 Sep 2016) 301 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Fri Sep 16 18:18:28 EDT 2016

Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 16, 2016

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture              17            243            243
Osprey                       0              7              7
Bald Eagle                   3             28             28
Northern Harrier            20            112            112
Sharp-shinned Hawk         154           1047           1047
Cooper's Hawk                4             25             25
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk           80           3337           3337
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk              5             80             80
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            16            287            287
Merlin                       1             11             11
Peregrine Falcon             0              0              0
Unknown Accipiter            0              3              3
Unknown Buteo                1              4              4
Unknown Falcon               0              1              1
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              8              8

Total:                     301           5193           5193

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter:        Dustin Brewer

Observers:        Andrew Sturgess, John Elliott

Visitors:
There was a decent crowd (~20 people) for much of the day, especially after
the Fred Kirn memorial and kiosk dedication, which took place right next to
the count site.

Weather:
There was partial cloud cover all day, at around 25 percent. We watched a
couple of uniquely long, dark, and thin clouds materialize as if a knife
slowly cut a line through the sky. Winds were from the east and south, and
almost always weak down at our level.

Raptor Observations:
We had more Sharp-shinned Hawks fly over today (154) than on any other day
yet this season. We also matched our best Northern Harrier day, at 20
individuals. Few Broad-winged Hawks flew by within sight. We suspect that
many of the Broad-wings may have flown to the north of us, as winds were
southerly. Further, we spotted a small kettle (a swirling body of hawks,
soaring) far to the north.

Non-raptor Observations:
While looking through the sky, one (and maybe only one!, i.e. the report
writer) can sometimes momentarily mistake the fluttering wings of a
butterfly for the fluttering wing beats of a distant Sharp-shinned Hawk.
Many Monarch butterflies were spotted today, as the gentle, south easterly
winds appeared to be ideal to help ease them on their way south. When life
jerks us around, it may help to think of the tiny, migratory Monarch
butterflies which have so far survived in a windy world! And try to
remember to appreciate favorable wind!!

Predictions:
Scattered rain and thunderstorms are predicted all day tomorrow, and winds
from the west, which will likely not be conditions ideal for much movement.
Though we shall see...
Report submitted by Detroit River Hawk Watch (greg_norwood at fws.gov)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.drhawkwatch.org