[Ontbirds] Detroit River Hawk Watch (01 Oct 2016) 371 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Sat Oct 1 17:30:53 EDT 2016

Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 01, 2016

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture             226            226           1546
Osprey                       1              1             19
Bald Eagle                   3              3             57
Northern Harrier             5              5            228
Sharp-shinned Hawk          87             87           2593
Cooper's Hawk                3              3             47
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          1              1              2
Broad-winged Hawk           31             31          17430
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk              8              8            142
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel             2              2            480
Merlin                       2              2             20
Peregrine Falcon             2              2              6
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              3
Unknown Buteo                0              0              9
Unknown Falcon               0              0              2
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0             11

Total:                     371            371          22595

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter:        Dustin Brewer

Observers:        Andrew Sturgess, Don Sherwood, Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
We didn't have many guests today, though did at one point have 5 people
scanning the sky with us.

Weather:
After morning clouds, the day cleared up and, for the first time in four
days, we had a lasting view of the sun! The blue skies were a nice change.
A light wind came primarily from the east and south all day.

Raptor Observations:
We observed twelve species migrating today, but none in great numbers. We
spotted our second Red-shouldered Hawk of the year, a species which will
likely become more common at our site as the month progresses. We had
several good looks at speedy falcons, including Peregrines and Merlins.

Non-raptor Observations:
This morning there were many (1400+) Red-winged Blackbirds migrating in
their horizontal, bounding flocks. Blue Jays were moving again, but in
lesser numbers than on previous days (2,830+). We counted 20 Monarch
butterflies today, despite seeing less than 5 on each of the previous three
days. Mute Swans were flying by in flocks, and one American Crow flew over.
Long streams of distant ducks were also spotted.

Predictions:
Tomorrow is predicted to be partly sunny, with a weak westerly wind. We are
hoping that many birds that were stopped by the bad weather over the past
few days will start moving tomorrow.
Report submitted by Detroit River Hawk Watch (greg_norwood at fws.gov)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.drhawkwatch.org