[Ontbirds] Pacific Loon - Minet's Point Park, Barrie - Mon Nov 14

Frank Pinilla fpinilla15 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 14:00:17 EST 2016

Hello ONTBIRDERS,

On a lunchtime lake viewing today (amazing conditions with no wind and
great light from behind), I saw 1 adult Pacific Loon in basic plumage (very
dark back with no white speckling, greyish-brown hindneck/crown contrasting
with back, sharply contrasting white foreneck and dark hindneck and showing
the slightest of necklace/chinstrap). Bird was straight out (north) from
Minet's Point Park, well out on the bay. Staying to itself and diving quite
frequently but staying up long enough to get good long-distance views of
it. At one point it was in a group of 3 Common Loons and a Red-necked Grebe
- size was closer to that of the grebe than to that of the loons
surrounding it.

Scope was definitely required to see this bird as it was out in the middle
of the bay (500-1000m out).

Believe this is the first report of one in about a week, so I thought I'd
put it out there for anyone still looking to add this rarity to their list.

Also here were 400++ Common Loons (many, MANY more way out to the east on
Kempenfelt Bay, towards the main part of the lake) - ~80 Red-necked Grebe,
1 Pied-billed Grebe, 200-300 Bonaparte's Gull (all on the far/north side of
the bay) and other waterfowl, didn't see any white-winged gulls or Lesser
Black-backed but could see hundreds of gulls on the western end of the bay
at Centennial Park beach.

Good birding,
Frank Pinilla
Richmond Hill, ON (working in Barrie)

DIRECTIONS:
Minet's Point Park - From Hwy 400, exit at Essa Road in Barrie, and head
east 1.4km. Turn right on Tiffin Street and stay right as this turns into
Lakeshore Drive. Follow Lakeshore 1.6km until the lights at Minets Point
Road, turn left on Minets, follow to the park.