[Ontbirds] Detroit River Hawk Watch (19 Nov 2016) 2 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Sat Nov 19 16:00:01 EST 2016

Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 19, 2016

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0           2031          38519
Osprey                       0              0             23
Bald Eagle                   0             14            138
Northern Harrier             1             32            369
Sharp-shinned Hawk           1            104           4452
Cooper's Hawk                0             45            156
Northern Goshawk             0              2              4
Red-shouldered Hawk          0            129            441
Broad-winged Hawk            0              0          17529
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk              0           1123           2862
Rough-legged Hawk            0             14             19
Golden Eagle                 0             47             75
American Kestrel             0              4            551
Merlin                       0              3             40
Peregrine Falcon             0              0             28
Unknown Accipiter            0              2              7
Unknown Buteo                0              6             62
Unknown Falcon               0              0              2
Unknown Eagle                0              2              3
Unknown Raptor               0              2             14

Total:                       2           3560          65294

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end   time: 12:30:00
Total observation time: 3.5 hours

Official Counter:        Dustin Brewer

Observers:        Andrew Sturgess, Don Sherwood, Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
We had only a couple visitors today. The first astutely mentioned that the
wind was coming from the wrong direction, and the second, Mark, arrived at
almost the exact moment that the heavy precipitation started.

Weather:
Yesterday was a record-high temperature for this time of year at the count
site, and today it snowed on us! When we arrived, we were blocked from most
of the wind and it wasn't raining/snowing yet. Water in the channel had
been blown out to expose many rocks that had not yet been seen this season.
It was somewhat pleasant until the rain/snow/sleet began to fall.
Eventually, we cancelled the count due to the waves of precipitation that
stymied raptor movement.

Raptor Observations:
The only migratory raptors that we spotted were a Sharp-shinned Hawk and a
Northern Harrier. The local Coop was spotted, as well as a local Bald
Eagle. Everything else, apparently, was hunkered down today.

Non-raptor Observations:
We spotted at least a few thousand distant ducks flapping over Lake Erie,
as well as a Ruddy Duck nearby us. A couple Common Loons were also spotted.

Predictions:
Tomorrow could be a good day to see raptors. There will be no
precipitation, and the wind will be favorable (from the northwest). Our
only concern with the wind is that it may be too strong, and blow migrating
raptors to the south of us. Dress warm, if you plan to join us.
Report submitted by Detroit River Hawk Watch (greg_norwood at fws.gov)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.drhawkwatch.org