[Ontbirds] Detroit River Hawk Watch (20 Nov 2016) 16 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Sun Nov 20 17:28:29 EST 2016

Detroit River Hawk Watch
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 20, 2016

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0           2031          38519
Osprey                       0              0             23
Bald Eagle                   1             15            139
Northern Harrier             0             32            369
Sharp-shinned Hawk           1            105           4453
Cooper's Hawk                1             46            157
Northern Goshawk             0              2              4
Red-shouldered Hawk          0            129            441
Broad-winged Hawk            0              0          17529
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              0
Red-tailed Hawk             13           1136           2875
Rough-legged Hawk            0             14             19
Golden Eagle                 0             47             75
American Kestrel             0              4            551
Merlin                       0              3             40
Peregrine Falcon             0              0             28
Unknown Accipiter            0              2              7
Unknown Buteo                0              6             62
Unknown Falcon               0              0              2
Unknown Eagle                0              2              3
Unknown Raptor               0              2             14

Total:                      16           3576          65310

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter:        Dustin Brewer

Observers:        Don Sherwood

Visitors:
We had three dedicated visitors today, who steadfastly endured the assault
of the wind. We were glad to have their company!

Weather:
The temperature was colder today than it has been during any day yet so far
this season, and the northwest winds were very strong. These conditions
made raptor counting a bit unpleasant. At around noon, the complete cloud
cover began to break up, which increased morale. Barometric pressure stayed
steady as the day progressed.

Raptor Observations:
Though the winds were favorable, we did not see many raptors today. In
regard to migration, we saw almost exclusively Red-tailed Hawks. However,
we also spotted one migrating individual of the following species: Cooper's
Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk, and Bald Eagle. We saw our local Merlin do a very
steep and long stoop. Later, it flew towards us and landed in a nearby
tree. As we watched it, the wind that had been persistent all day nearly
stopped, and we felt the warm sun on the left side of our face as we
watched it during a hard-earned, pleasant moment.

Non-raptor Observations:
We saw a pair each of Ruddy Ducks and Gadwalls. Many Mallards flew
overhead, and at least 15 Bonaparte's Gulls simultaneously hunted in front
of us. A single Common Loon was spotted. Two American White Pelicans flew
by.

Predictions:
Tomorrow is predicted to be mostly sunny with a moderate Northwest wind.
Given that migration seemed to pick up a bit today (which isn't saying
much, given the past several days), it seems like tomorrow could be a good
day.
Report submitted by Detroit River Hawk Watch (greg_norwood at fws.gov)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.drhawkwatch.org