[Ontbirds] Smith's Longspur @ Long Point

David Okines dokines1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 20:42:29 EST 2017

*Posting with the approval of the Ontbirds coordinator*

*It has come to the attention of the Wildlife Enforcement Directorate of
Environment and Climate Change Canada, that a Smith’s Longspur has been
observed in the area of Long Point in Norfolk County.  Being a rarity in
Ontario, understandably, it has gained a lot of attention in both the
birding and photography communities.  It appears that a person or persons
have been depositing bird seed along the sides of the road where the bird
has been observed, presumably for the purposes of attracting it into the
open for better observation. *

*We have received reports that deposits of seed are allegedly being
tampered with, and mixed with an unknown substance, which could potentially
be harmful to the birds which feed upon it.  We respectfully request that
any persons visiting the site please refrain from depositing seed, as we do
not wish to see birds harmed in any way.   *

*Anyone with information regarding the contamination of seed may contact
the Wildlife Enforcement Directorate with details by telephoning our office
at 905-336-6410 <(905)%20336-6410> or by email at
 ec.enviroinfo.ec at canada.ca <ec.enviroinfo.ec at canada.ca>    Alternatively,
to remain anonymous, persons with information about a violation may call
Crime Stoppers at 1 -877-222-TIPS (8477).*

*As well, it is also requested that any persons attending the site please
be respectful towards the local residents, their privacy and property.   Be
sure to stay off the traveled portion of the roadway for your own safety
and to reduce hindrance to local traffic.*

*Thank you for your cooperation,*

*ANDREW BRUCE*

*Wildlife Officer | Agent de conservation de la faune*

*Wildlife Enforcement | Application de la loi sur la faune*

*Ontario Region | Région de l'OntarioEnvironment and Climate Change
Canada  | **Environnement et Changement climatique Canada*

*867 Lakeshore Road | 867 chemin Lakeshore*

*Burlington (Ontario) L7R 4A6*

*Telephone | Téléphone:905-319-6965 <(905)%20319-6965>*

*Fax | Télécopieur: 905-336-4633 <(905)%20336-4633>*

*andrew.bruce at canada.ca <andrew.bruce at canada.ca>*

*Government of Canada | Gouvernement du CanadaWebsite | Site
Web: www.ec.gc.ca <http://www.ec.gc.ca/>*