[Ontbirds] OFO trip 14 Jan 2017

Roy John roy.d.john at outlook.com
Sat Jan 14 16:53:59 EST 2017

Twenty one participants enjoyed the vagaries of Ottawa weather - it had plunged to -20C overnight - to look for the local rarities.  At our first stop, some people got their first lifer - a Red-bellied Woodpecker that appeared on cue.  The next half an hour was birdless until we saw a Snowy Owl, then another and then a fine white male.  Persistent searching of 300 Snow Buntings got us a brief view of a Lapland Longspur.  We moved to the dump and saw ZERO gulls, but met an Ohio birder who joined us in a trip to the Rideau River, where he saw two lifers - Harlequin and Barrow’s Goldeneye.  Overall we saw 28 species, about normal for winter Ottawa.

At the Rideau I had a personal crisis; my 96 year old mother had been taken to Emergency.  I was most grateful to the lady who took my car pool passengers home.  (My mother is fine)

Roy and Dave