[Ontbirds] Long Point area - January 15th

Ken Burrell kenneth.gd.burrell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 18:58:06 EST 2017

Mike and I toured the Long Point area this morning and had some great stuff
(64 species).  Started out at Port Rowan with the Greater White-fronted
Goose from the overlook first thing (
http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S33686747).

Then headed to Old Cut, where we met up with the long-staying Tufted
Titmouse, Gray Catbird, Hermit Thrush, and Yellow-rumped Warbler (
http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S33686769).  At the end of
Rogers Avenue, we had one of the Trumpeter Swans in the area, sleeping on
the ice (http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S33686786).

Leaving Old Cut, we had an imm. Red-shouldered Hawk and a Ruby-crowned
Kinglet at the Crown Marsh Trail (
http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S33686807).

At Port Royal, we had (presumably) the same Greater White-fronted Goose
flyover in a flock, as well as another Gray Catbird (
http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S33686813).  Heading east
along Lakeshore, just west of Turkey Point we had the long-staying imm.
dark-morph *Calurus *Red-tailed Hawk and a Fox Sparrow (
http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S33686861). At Turkey Point
marina we had a female-type Surf Scoter (rare in Norfolk) and Ruddy Duck (
http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S33686870).

Cheers,

Ken Burrell
kenneth.gd.burrell at gmail.com