[Ontbirds] Whimbrel Watch - Col. Sam Smith Park, May 30, 2017

Mark Cranford ontbirds_coord at rogers.com
Tue May 30 21:29:53 EDT 2017

 From Tim Mccarthy, <timmccarthy_5 at hotmail.com

Today was a day of Shorebirds. Not so many Whimbrels, most have gone
through, but we had 4 in the morning and 47 in the afternoon for a total
so far of 2160. But just like our friends in Virginia suggested, there
seems to be lots of other shorebirds still to come. Today's tally -
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 305,  White Rumped Sandpiper -  53,  Dunlin -
250,  Ruddy Turnstone - 14,  Peep Sp. - 125 and, glorious to see,  Red
Knot - 12. Lets hope these birds find places to stop along their
migration routes as their usual mudflats and low rocky areas are all
under water.

I'm sure there will be lots more tomorrow, we'll be there too though its
the last day for the Whimbrel Watch and say now -  that least Bittern is
still around. the reason I'm so fired up about it is that one hardly
ever gets more than a glimpse of this fantastic creature and instead,
the Bittern is close by, mostly in the clear, it is very tame and you
can watch it all day if you want to.

See you tomorrow,

Tim

--