[Ontbirds] Holiday Beach Conservation Area (05 Oct 2017) 433 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Thu Oct 5 21:07:19 EDT 2017

Holiday Beach Conservation Area
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 05, 2017

Turkey Vulture             388           2018           4869
Osprey                       1              3             60
Bald Eagle                   1              2             94
Northern Harrier             1             21            181
Sharp-shinned Hawk          29            167           2595
Cooper's Hawk                2             12             73
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          1              2              7
Broad-winged Hawk            0             14           5347
Red-tailed Hawk              5             28            174
Rough-legged Hawk            1              2              2
Golden Eagle                 1              1              1
American Kestrel             2             12            740
Merlin                       0              0             32
Peregrine Falcon             1              9             19
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              1              7
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              2
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              1

Total:                     433           2292          14204

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter:        Sean Jenniskens

Observers:        Jim McCoy, Kory Renaud, Michael Williamson

Visitors:
Two young British gents came up the tower briefly, and were amazed by one
of the local Osprey.

Weather:
Surprisingly, the day started out with northerly winds for the first almost
two hours, but soon switched to southwesterly.

Raptor Observations:
A very interesting day on the tower today! Majority of the day was
basically dead, just a trickle of Turkey Vultures with the odd Sharpie
thrown in. The first big surprise came at 3pm local time, when while
scanning a loose stream of TV's, I noticed a white flash at the base of one
birds tail. To my astonishment it was our first Golden Eagle of the year! A
beautiful immature bird; I watched as it soared by along the north shore,
and as it got to the far west end of the marsh, it landed in a tree and got
harassed by one of the local immature Bald Eagles! About 40min later, again
while scanning TV's, I notice a slightly smaller bird, also with a white
tail-base. A Rough-leg! Our second Roughie of the year already along with
our first Golden...on a south wind day no less! A very surprising afternoon
it was, with 12 raptor species being counted migrating.

Non-raptor Observations:
Good diversity in non-raptor birds today, with 63 species being seen from
the tower. The number of both Gadwall and Am. Wigeon seem to have shot up
overnight, with several hunder of each out in the marsh. One of the more
interesting ducks of the day was a pure white Mallard; I presume it has
some domestic genes in it. A total of 52 Killdeer were counted migrating,
which included several flocks in the mid teens. 6810 Blue Jays were counted
migrating today as well, a new seasonal highcount but still well below last
years. Additionally, 2 Am. Pipits and a Purple Finch were first of season
species. 7 Sparrow species were observed today as well. Link to the full
eBird checklist here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39571054 A
total of 7 Monarchs were noted migrating today.

Predictions:
Variable winds and rain predicted for tomorrow.
Report submitted by Sean Jenniskens (seanjenniskens at hotmail.com)
Holiday Beach Conservation Area information may be found at:
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org:  http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100