[Ontbirds] Pacific Loons, Short-eared Owl, Little Gull, Common Loons - Minet's Point Park, Barrie

Jeremy Bensette jeremy_bensette at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 6 19:24:01 EDT 2017

Hi folks,

I know it's been posted already yesterday and today, but might as well up the ante a bit with sightings in the last couple of hours.

In a single right to left sweep counting loons one-by-one as distant as possible, we counted exactly 1776 Common Loons and 3 Pacific Loons (all spaced at least a kilometre apart, no loons noted flying, all in more or less breeding plumage). In the process of loon-viewing I spotted a migrant Short-eared Owl being harassed by gulls, as well as the adult Little Gull already mentioned earlier.

Needless to say, this was a pretty great highlight birding stop, even in a pretty big year! It would certainly be a worthwhile stop for anyone in the area.

Minet's Point Park is at the south edge of Kempenfelt Bay in Barrie, Simcoe County.

Gps coordinates for Minet's Point Park:
44.37617, -79.66743

Good birding!

Jere, Tim et al