[Ontbirds] timiskaming winter finch update

BruceMurphy birdboy at EastLink.ca
Sat Jan 6 12:48:48 EST 2018

Greetings birders I thought I would let birders know about the lack of redpolls visiting feeders in the north east we are seeing lots of small flocks on most of the secondary roads in good boreal habitat but with abundant food they do not seem interested in feeders. One hoary redpoll has been seen among the small flocks so for hose of you hoping to swing by the area as part of a trip to the Hearst burn i thought you may wish to know. On the other hand the hilliardton marsh has a robust number of pine and evening grosbeaks so you cannot miss seeing a pine grosbeak if that is of interest. There have been 27 species reported on ebird in the area. Trusting birders will find this info helpful as you plan excursions into the boreal. All the best Bruce murphy