[Ontbirds] Brantford CBC 2017

Kevin Murphy kevin66murphy at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 8 21:06:59 EST 2018

Sent from my iPhone.       The Brantford CBC took place on Saturday December 30 2017.  14 field observers and 10 feeder watchers braved fridgid temperatures to reach a successful count of 61 species , and a total of 5, 781 individual birds.  The morning started out with a low temperature of -11 and reached a chilly high of -8.  The winds held off most of the day and the sun was shining for most of the count day.  Aside from an afternoon heavy snowfall for about a half hour , this group of birders could not have asked for better winter conditions for a count.    The grand river was mostly frozen over , with small stretches of open water   Highlights include :  15 turkey vultures , 5 common ravens , 1 peregrine falcon ,9 bald eagles , 7 iceland gulls , 1 lesser black backed gull , 11 glaucous gulls , 10 carolina wrens , 70 eastern bluebirds , 3 rusty blackbirds , 5 fox sparrows and 2 white crowned sparrows , among other great finds. Special thanks goes out to Shelia Smith for hosting the lunch break and Betty Chanyi for providing her amazing homemade soup.   Also , a big thanks to all the volunteers who made this count so successful.   Our best to date.     The complete list of species and numbers is :
Bald Eagle 9
Red Tailed Hawk 34
Rough Legged hawk 3
Sharp shinned hawk 2