[Ontbirds] Presqu'ile Birding Report for Week Ending March 29, 2018.

Fred Helleiner fhelleiner at trentu.ca
Thu Mar 29 16:37:15 EDT 2018

For at least two days this week, southerly winds brought the first rush
of spring migrants to Presqu'ile Provincial Park this month.

On Monday and Tuesday, flock after flock of CANADA GEESE flew over.
Small groups of TUNDRA SWANS flew over on Monday and Wednesday.  A male
WOOD DUCK was present yesterday.  There has been a noticeable increase
in recent days in the number of GADWALLS, AMERICAN WIGEONS, and
RING-NECKED DUCKS.  The male HARLEQUIN DUCK that was first detected on
March 10 was rediscovered on Friday at the calf pasture and has been a
regular on the last four days.  Yesterday it was still at the calf
pasture at noon, where it has been all week, but by late in the day it
had returned to its former location at the lighthouse, where it was this
afternoon.  It often associates with WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS. RUFFED GROUSE
were heard or seen at three different locations yesterday.  On March 23
and 27, there were sightings of the first KILLDEER this year.  The first
COMMON LOON of the season was off the calf pasture yesterday, and the
first GREAT BLUE HERONS flew over on Sunday and Monday.  Given the
recent observation of RED-THROATED LOONS elsewhere on Lake Ontario, they
may soon appear in Popham Bay.

Two immature BALD EAGLES were on the ice of Presqu'ile Bay on Friday and
one on Sunday.  A COOPER'S HAWK was seen on Tuesday.  A SNOWY OWL was on
the ice near the marsh on Friday, Sunday, and Wednesday, and two others
were on the offshore islands on Wednesday, indicating a total of at
least three individuals yesterday.  RED-BELLIED WOODPECKERS are
widespread in the Park, and a NORTHERN FLICKER was again seen at the
calf pasture on Saturday, perhaps the same individual that was seen
there twice before in recent weeks.  A PILEATED WOODPECKER was heard
yesterday.  On Tuesday, a NORTHERN SHRIKE was near the beach 2 entrance
road, where one was seen earlier in the winter.  A group of four COMMON
RAVENS flew past the lighthouse on Monday.  On Tuesday a PURPLE FINCH
was singing and two EASTERN MEADOWLARKS flew over.

To reach Presqu'ile Provincial Park, follow the signs from Brighton.
Locations within the Park are shown on a map at the back of a tabloid
that is available at the Park gate. Access to the offshore islands is
restrictedat this time of year to prevent disturbance to the colonial
nesting birds there.

Though I'm not yet ready to fall off my perch, in anticipation of the
imminent completion of my 85th trip around the sun, I have
decided to take*DOUG McRAE*  up on his long-standing generous offer to
take over the responsibility for reporting each Thursday on the birds
that have been seen in Presqu'ile Provincial Park during the preceding
week.  So this is not a swan song, except to the extent that, as a chronicler
of Presqu'ile bird sightings, I will henceforth be mute.  I very
much appreciate Doug's willingness to assume that responsibility beginning
next week and will reciprocate by letting him know in a timely manner
what birds I have seen myself or have heard about, as he and others have
regularly done for me in the past.  I have enjoyed the opportunity that
writing weekly reports has given me to interact with so many birders
from many parts of Ontario and beyond, whose contributions to those
reports have helped to make them as comprehensive as possible and are
greatly appreciated. I hope that birders will let Doug know about
their sightings.  His e-mail address isrdouglasmcrae at gmail.com.  I will
forward to him any reports that come my way.  Many birders visiting
Presqu'ile have informed other birders about their sightings by entering
them on the bird sightings board provided by The Friends of Presqu'ile
at the parking lot beside the campground office, and my hope is that
this tradition will continue, as it has supplemented other sources of
information for my weekly reports.  I am delighted that Doug has offered
his services to ensure the continuation of the weekly birding reports from Presqu'ile,
which he is eminently qualified to write. He visits the Park frequently and
has been THE local authority on birds for many years.  I look forward to
reading Doug's reports as his writings and his knowledge of the Park and
its birds have always impressed me.

Birders are encouraged to record their observations on the bird sightings
board provided near the campground office by The Friends of Presqu'ile Park
and to fill out a rare bird report for species not listed there.

--
Fred Helleiner
186 Bayshore Road