[Ontbirds] Shorebird Update - West Perth Wetlands (Mitchell Sewage Lagoons)

Dave Brown thebrowns at ezlink.ca
Sun Aug 19 13:32:57 EDT 2018

Just a quick update from the WPW from the past couple of days  There are quite a few shorebirds around…. but mostly the usual species.

NOTE:  Make sure you go ALL the way around to the east of the wetlands complex BEHIND the processing plant to get where all the shorebirds are. (when u hit the fenced cell going east turn right and then at the corner of the fence turn left and head along to the east till you see the shorebirds on your left).  The water level in this cell has remained near perfect for shorebirds and this will be where you will find the bulk of them.

Lesser Yellowlegs (lots)
Greater Yellowlegs (a few)
Solitary Sandpiper (couldn’t find a single one this morning but I had 8 last evening)
Least Sandpiper (15+)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (none found today but there’ve been a few around)
Spotted Sandpiper (5-10 mostly in the fenced in cell walking along the muddy edge)
Killdeer (20+)
Semipalmated Plover (just a couple around with only one spotted today)
Pectoral Sandpiper (15+)
Wilson’s Snipe (4)

Nothing really out of the ordinary out there right now….but I’ll post if anything really good comes up.

Hope to see you out there and good birding!

Dave