[Ontbirds] Rondeau Great Kiskadee Monday YES

Steve Charbonneau steve.charbonneau60 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 11:22:17 EDT 2018

Hi again everyone,
My last post today. Just a quick summary of this morning’s sighting. Around 9:50, Karl Overman heard the bird calling about 200m along the trail. This is 75m past the S curve. It was still calling when three of us got there 4 minutes later. It was giving the single “keeah” call, not the “kiskadee” call. took 6 of us almost a half hour to see it but when we did, it put on quite a show. It flew short distances, perching in the open each time. We were able to get within about 10m of it, as it perched two feet off the ground in some dead as tree branches over top of a swampy area beside the path for 5 minutes longer. It finally dropped down into the swamp area and came up with a frog. It then proceeded to eat the frog to the delight of 7 of us. A couple of birders present were able to get photos of this event in the light mist. It then flew to the east and disappeared into the thickets. The bird was in full view for 25 minutes in total. There is presently nobody there as all of us have left the area. If anyone comes, they should be advised to look past the S curve, on the east (left) side. Good luck!
Steve

Sent from my iPhone