[Ontbirds] OFO Trip - Kettle Point and Lagoons

Sean Jenniskens seanjenniskens at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 16 13:18:16 EDT 2018

On Saturday Spetember 15, 8 birders met at Kettle Point to bird the area. Visibility on the lake was horrific, as we couldn't see more than about 20m out into the water first thing. We soon decided to head over to the Forest Sewage lagoons, and found that clear blue skies and high visibility treated us just a km or so inland. The lagoons provided a few dozen shorebirds (9 species) to scan through, and many ducks (5 species). Once everyone was content, we headed back to kettle point hoping the fog had lifted. Upon arrival, visibility was up close to 200m, but within a few minutes it had drifted back in to about 50m! We ended the day with a trail in Port Franks.
Our group totalled 66 species and highlights included: Red-necked Phalarope, Baird's and White-rumped Sandpipers at Forest Lagoons; Red-headed Woodpecker, Tufted Titmouse, and Forster's Tern at Kettle Point; and Eastern Kingbird and Gray-cheeked Thrush in Port Franks.

Thank you to all who came out!

Sean M. Jenniskens