[Ontbirds] LeConte's Sparrow at Colonel Samuel Smith Park, Etobicoke, Ontario - 30 October 2018

Wayne Renaud waynerenaud12 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 20:39:54 EDT 2018

Further to Garth Riley's recent report "of one, possibly two LeConte's
Sparrows. They were still being seen off and on at 12:50 PM."  After
two extensive searches I finally found one feeding at 6:05 pm in a
narrow mowed area close the path near the north end of the 2nd
east-facing beach only about 3-4 meters from a crab apple tree covered
with fruit.  It appear in open for about 20 seconds when I could
clearly see the heavier streaking on the breast and sides and thin
lines on the nape .. buffy overall except the white belly and grey ear
patch.

Directions: Drive south past Lakeshore at the end of Kipling onto
Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive. Park at the southernmost parking lot
and walk along the east path towards the viewing platform, but keep
right towards the lake. The birds were in the grass and Golden Rod
between the path that follows the lake and the gravel beach. This was
just east of the Waterbirds sign.