[Ontbirds] Toronto Islands - Woodpeckers, etc.

MURR, NORMAN normurr at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 31 07:25:01 EDT 2018

Yesterday Bob Tyler and I birded The Islands from Ward's Island to Gibralter Point on a beautiful Fall day bypassing Algonquin Island and Snug Harbour.

Besides the birds listed below we found 284 Black-capped Chickadees on and passing through the above areas almost as many as we saw last Thursday the 25th when we recorded 288 birds. These totals of the migrating and resident Chickadees were probably under  counted.

Some of the other birds seen were 2 Cackling Geese, Black Ducks, Gadwalls, N. Shovelers, A. Wigeons, Ring-necked Ducks, Hooded Mergansers, Merlin, 2 juvenile Peregrine Falcons noisily chasing each other as they headed towards the Leslie St. Spit, 5 Woodpecker species including 3 Red-bellied, Hairy and Downy, 2 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers and Flickers, E. Phoebes, Carolina and Winter Wrens, both Kinglets, 50 plus A. Robins, 35 plus Cedar Waxwings, Yellow-rumped Warblers and 22 N. Cardinals.

For those that are interested we also found 3 A. Admiral/Comma type Butterflies but on Gibralter Point only 1 Monarch Butterfly.

A surprise sighting was a small Bat hawking midgets over Gibralter Point around 2 pm.

A Map and a Painted Turtle were also seen, perhaps our last until next spring.

Norm Murr
Richmond Hill, Ont.