[Ontbirds] Proposal to establish a hunting season for Double-crested Cormorants in Ontario

ROBERT FORSTER robbfors at rogers.com
Tue Nov 20 16:53:23 EST 2018

 Please remind me what we birders pay towards waterfowl and habitat conservation, as opposed to duck hunters and so on.
    On ‎Tuesday‎, ‎November‎ ‎20‎, ‎2018‎ ‎02‎:‎59‎:‎01‎ ‎PM‎ ‎EST, Barrett, Glenn (EC) via ONTBIRDS <birdalert at ontbirds.ca> wrote:

I have received permission from the ONTBIRDS Coordinator to post this message.

FYI - Yesterday a proposal to create an open hunting season of cormorants from 15 Mar to 31 Dec was posted on the Environmental Registry – bag limit of 50/day and NO possession limit.
The statement that it will “not affect sustainability” seems to lack scientific proof given that hunting will occur during breeding season, and cormorants will be disturbed from breeding colonies by the hunting. Not to mention the fact that almost all DCCO colonies contain several other colonial waterbird species (ie. Herring Gull, Ring-billed Gull, Common Tern, Caspian Tern, Black-crowned Night Herons, Great Blue Herons, Great Egrets, White Pelicans …) who will also be disturbed during their breeding season by this hunting activity.
Comments can be submitted until 3 Jan 2019.

http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/displaynoticecontent.do?noticeId=MTM2NTE1&statusId=MjA4MDQ4&language=en

ONTBIRDS is presented by the Ontario Field Ornithologists (OFO) - the provincial birding organization.
Send bird reports to birdalert at ontbirds.ca