[Ontbirds] Fwd: Slaty-backed Gull - Brantford - Brantford landfill & Mohawk Lake

Bill Lamond bill-lamond at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 12 18:00:43 EST 2018

Birders

There were two Slaty-backed Gulls at the Brantford landfill site today (12 December). The landfill site is at the south end of Morrison Rd off of Mohawk St, Brantford. Mohawk Lake is very close by on Greenwich St which is also off of Mohawk St. Exit 403 in Brantford at Wayne Gretzky Parkway and head south on parkway to Colborne St lights and turn left onto Colborne. Turn right onto Locks Rd which becomes Mohawk St at the bottom of the hill. Greenwich is first on your right and Morrison St is afterwards on your left.

The bird was not seen at Mohawk Lake today as far as I know. In fact almost no gulls were seen at the lake today. The employees at the landfill will accommodate birders but you have to sign in and park and stand where they tell you to. The birds were easily seen from this vantage point today. I will copy some emails that were circulated today from the HamiltonBirds network. Also some photos can be seen of the two birds from the link below (HamiltonBirds) and both birds can be seen together in one of the photos from one of the posts.

The dump is open Monday to Saturday but closed on Sunday. On Sunday the birds could be found at Mohawk Lake or on the Grand River at Colborne St and Brant Ave were large numbers of gulls sometimes loaf.

Bill

Ellen Horak <ellyhorak at gmail.com>
Wed 2018-12-12, 2:46 PM
HamiltonBirds;
birdalert at ontbirds.ca

As a concession to kicking us out from the landfill they gave a few of us access to the dike road overlooking some fields and a Slaty- backed Gull was seen!! This was “James bird “ with the yellow bill. A number of us were lucky enough to see it before it flew back into the dump face. So worth checking the landfill tomorrow. Not sure if they will allow access to the dike again. Please remember to follow all directions and consider carpooling as the staff said they might have to shut down access if it gets too crazy. You have to sign in and out at the weigh scales.

ellen  Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 12, 2018, at 1:53 PM, Ellen Horak <ellyhorak at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> SBGU not been refound since 12:30. They are not allowing birders in for the rest of today. Its been a bit disruptive to their operations but they have been very accommodating. We are welcome to come back tomorrow (Thursday) where they will have an area set up for us.
>
> ellen  Sent from my iPhone

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en?hl%3Den#!topic/hamiltonbirds/EOs5ZJzkHGE
[http://www.google.com/images/icons/product/groups-128.png]<https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en?hl%3Den#!topic/hamiltonbirds/EOs5ZJzkHGE>

Slaty-backed Gull(s)(?) at Brantford Dump<https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en?hl%3Den#!topic/hamiltonbirds/EOs5ZJzkHGE>