[Ontbirds] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (11 Nov 2019) 28 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Mon Nov 11 17:29:39 EST 2019

Holiday Beach Hawk Watch
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 11, 2019

Turkey Vulture               0           4096          53332
Osprey                       0              0             36
Bald Eagle                   0             33            226
Northern Harrier            20            148            605
Sharp-shinned Hawk           1            280           5248
Cooper's Hawk                0             33            270
Northern Goshawk             0              0              6
Red-shouldered Hawk          1            154            369
Broad-winged Hawk            0              6          25779
Red-tailed Hawk              3            949           1767
Rough-legged Hawk            1              6              6
Golden Eagle                 0             11             14
American Kestrel             0             17           1727
Merlin                       0              4            111
Peregrine Falcon             0              7             58
Unknown Accipiter            0              2              7
Unknown Buteo                0             10             22
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               2              3              7
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              1

Total:                      28           5759          89591

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 13:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter:        Maryse Gagné

Observers:

Visitors:
Only one visitor to the tower today, thanks Tim Jarrold for your great
company in the last little bit of the count.

Weather:
To put it simply, today was not very pleasant on the tower. Snow and heavy
Northern winds gave us practically whiteout conditions, with poor
visibility over the marsh. Temperatures hovered around 0 degCel which made
heavy and wet snow, perfect for sticking to my glasses and making a
snowman.

Raptor Observations:
I took a chance by coming to the tower today, only expecting to see a few
birds, but I was proven wrong with 28 raptors! The most numerous were
Northern Harriers (20) with a few being males. There is something quite
spectacular about seeing a gray ghost flying over the tower in a snow
storm.
I also counted a Sharp-shinned Hawk, a Red-shouldered Hawk, 3 Red-tailed
Hawks, and a Rough-legged Hawk.

Non-raptor Observations:
To my surprise, many other birds were on the move today, mostly Red-winged
Blackbirds and Starlings.
I also counted a Killdeer, a Bluebird, a few Horned Larks, Goldfinches,
Dark-eyed Juncos, and to my delight a Yellow-rumped Warbler jumping on the
vegetation in the pond by the tower.
Ducks are still present on the marsh, however with the poor visibility, it
was difficult to tell how many were out there.
Check out our full ebird list here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S61372771

In non-bird news: we now have a portable washroom by the tower!!

Predictions:
Still expecting a little bit of snow tomorrow in the morning, but it should
clear by early afternoon. The wind will be staying North-West all day and
the temperatures will drop to -5 degrees Celsius. Hoping for more Northern
Harriers and a few buteos.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (maryse.gagne35 at gmail.com)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org:  http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100