[Ontbirds] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (14 Nov 2019) 138 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Thu Nov 14 17:43:29 EST 2019

Holiday Beach Hawk Watch
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 14, 2019

Turkey Vulture              10           4340          53576
Osprey                       0              0             36
Bald Eagle                   1             37            230
Northern Harrier            47            247            704
Sharp-shinned Hawk          13            307           5275
Cooper's Hawk                1             36            273
Northern Goshawk             0              0              6
Red-shouldered Hawk          9            222            437
Broad-winged Hawk            0              6          25779
Red-tailed Hawk             49           1191           2009
Rough-legged Hawk            4             13             13
Golden Eagle                 1             12             15
American Kestrel             0             17           1727
Merlin                       2              8            115
Peregrine Falcon             0              7             58
Unknown Accipiter            0              2              7
Unknown Buteo                1             12             24
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              3              7
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              1

Total:                     138           6460          90292

Observation start time: 07:30:00
Observation end   time: 15:30:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter:        Maryse Gagné

Observers:        Dave Martin, Linda Wladarski

Visitors:
Big thank you to Dave Martin, Linda Wladarski, and Noel Herdman for their
visit, their help during the two busy hours, and for the snacks!
Additional thank you Michelle Mastellotto for her lovely visit and for the
coffee!

Weather:
Gloomy looking day with a full cloud cover which gave  difficult lighting
for bird identification. Temperatures were warmer today, but it did not
feel like it on the tower. The humidity and South-Western winds brought a
chill all the done to the bone.

Raptor Observations:
Really slow morning, making me doubt that the day would be any good...I was
quickly proven wrong my mid-morning! Throughout the day, we had steady
stream of Northern Harriers, half being Grey Ghosts, which ended the day at
47 Harriers!
Red-tailed Hawks also had a good show with 49 individuals. Major highlights
included a Golden Eagle around noon and 4 Rough-legged Hawks, all light
morphs! Throughout the entire day approximately 8 Bald Eagles (juveniles
and adults) could be spotted standing on the frozen marsh, often squabbling
amongst themselves and putting up the ducks.

Non-raptor Observations:
The usual crowd on the marsh today, but some ducks are dwindling in
numbers, and some are simply too far to identify, even with a scope.
Gulls are still very much present on the marsh, with a good mixtures of
Ring-billed and Bonaparte's.
At the base of the tower you could spot Golden and Ruby-Crowned Kinglets,
American Tree Sparrows, Swamp and Song Sparrows.
Lastly, main highlights included a few more Tree Swallows, a Brown Creeper,
and a Great Egret.

Check out our full eBird check list here:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S61452163

Predictions:
Tomorrow should start cooler but with some sunshine which could warm up the
air. The winds are expected to blow from the South-West in the morning and
shift to the West in the afternoon. Hoping for another day like today, with
diversity and excitement!
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (maryse.gagne35 at gmail.com)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org:  http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100