[Ontbirds] Toronto Islands Yesterday - Golden Eagle, Blue Birds, etc.

Norm Murr normurr at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 17 07:25:56 EST 2019

Yesterday Bob Tyler and I again birded the Toronto Islands and though there were not many passerines we did okay and below are some of the birds we found.

1 Cormorant only, 5 Great Blue Herons, 9 Trumpeter Swans including 4 grown Signets, Wood Duck, Greater Scaup, Gadwall, Black Duck, 50+ White-winged Scoters, 88 Common Goldeneye, 350+ Bufflehead, all 3 Mergansers, Turkey Vulture, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Red-tailed Hawks, Rough-legged Hawk, an adult Golden Eagle, Great black-backed Gulls, migrating American Crows, 2 noisy Common Ravens together overhead, 40 Eastern Bluebirds, Robins, Cedar Waxwings, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Tree Sparrows and House Finches.

Almost all of the Bufflehead were in the lagoons except for some off Snake Island and there may have been more White-winged Scoters plus some Black and Surf Scoters on the lake off Gibraltar Point (the usual place in the winter) but the waves were quite high and the birds were well out beyond the surf.

Just 2 Scaup seen but they are coming.

Bluebirds – Though you may find them anywhere this time of year the best places (in my opinion) on windy days are at the south end of the Filtration Plant (beside the road)  and on the north side of the Trout Pond.

Wednesday may be a good day down there as NW winds are predicted and waves on the lake and harbour should not be as high as they were yesterday.

Norm Murr
Richmond Hill, On

Sent from Mail for Windows 10