[Ontbirds] Port Burwell-Vienna Count CBC

Joe Stephenson joestephenson11 at mac.com
Mon Dec 16 11:30:29 EST 2019

Otter Valley Naturalists Christmas Bird Count - 2019 - Sunday, December 15

Port Burwell-Vienna Count Circle

Twenty-One persons braved the wind and early snow squalls to find 66 species.  Our historical average is 76 species, and our high count was 91 in 2011.
Total number was down to a new record low of 6130 birds counted.

No new species were added to our count circle this year.  Our multi-year cumulative total is 135 species since 2006, the first year.

Notable misses included American Robin, Sandhill Crane, Belted Kingfisher, Tundra Swan, Merlin and Red-breasted Nuthatch.

No Warblers were recorded.

Highs include 9 Cackling Geese, Bald Eagles were well represented at 13.  Two Golden Eagles were recorded.
Rock Pigeons have taken to roosting in the Oberon Class Submarine Museum (in Port Burwell) and came in at an all time high of 537.

Thanks to all participants, and Jeff & MaryAnn for preparation of an excellent meal afterwards.

And thanks to Luke & Tara for entering the results to the database and Ron Allensen for assisting with the write-up.

Joe Stephenson
Compiler